Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Back Into the Groove!

We have been on Spring Break for the past 2 weeks. That translates to 2 weeks of sleeping in, many hours of Wii, Netflix, and playing outside. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. The end was yesterday. Monday. Need I say more?

We did fairly well to get around on time. I was excited to implement those new schedules. Calendar time went without a hitch ~ time to get going on school. No so good. Preschooler did well, but Tweenager and Bubby weren't too terribly thrilled. In fact, they were in no way, shape or form thrilled!

Both were piddly ~ goofy ~ and grumbly. No matter how much I gently reminded them, then disciplined them, it was to no avail. They weren't about to do school! It took a phone call from Daddy to get Tweenager in gear, but Bubby lost all Wii and Netflix privileges until further notice. Tweenager finally finished school at 4:30 ~ Bubby at ~ ahem! ~ 9:45.

I did give them breaks and let the kiddos eat ~ I'm not Joan Crawford, here! ~ but I was insistent that they finish their work for the day.

The schedules did work ~ although not quite what I intended for them. I used the schedule to show my son that by 5 PM, that the only things he had accomplished for the day was making his bed, getting dressed, eating his breakfast, and completing his handwriting. He got the message and got busy!

Today went much smoother! It's now a little after 3 in the afternoon and both children are completely done with their school work. I think the schedules are going to work out wonderfully for us. When the student completes each subject, they bring it to me. I peruse it, and then check it off as completed on the schedule. They continue with the next subject until all are checked off. Then comes their hour of free time.

So, here's my question for the day ~ have you ever had one of those days? If so, how did you handle the situation?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have had several of those days! Days that seemed to not ever get going. Days that are so filled with bad attitude that I want to quit homeschooling! I have noticed that saving Bible for midway through the day will soften her attitude and mine. If that doesn't work I of course start taking privileges away. She is actually grounded from most everything right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea to place Bible midway during the day. I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete